Fifty years ago on February 8, 1965 through House Enrolled Act No. 1014, Ball State Teachers College became Ball State University as the institution was granted University status by the Indiana General Assembly. Both recognizing the tremendous growth of the college from a small teacher training school to a large regional institution and facilitating further expansion in size and scope, this change set Ball State on a course to flourish as a major teaching and research institution.
The Ball State University Digital Media Repository (DMR), a project of the University Libraries, provides free online access to a variety of digitized archival resources documenting this red letter day in Ball State history. Including photographs, films and videos, audio recordings, newspapers, and institutional records and reports housed in Ball State University Archives & Special Collections, the DMR includes over 200,000 digitized historic resources.
|Sign maker Bob Robinson congratulates Ball State with a billboard. One of over 20,000 digitized archival photographs documenting Ball State history|
|Ball State students celebrate sign change from "Teachers College" to "University", February 1965.|
|Ball State University President John R. Emens with Indiana legislators Rodney Piper, George Stephenson, and David Metzger and Lieutenant Governor Robert Rock at University Recognition Day ceremony, February 12, 1965|
|Ball State News headline from February 12, 1965 announcing University status change, |
including a greeting and statement from John R. Emens
|As Ball State's name changed, so did its campus. The LaFollette Residence Halls complex (under construction here)|
was one of major campus construction projects at Ball State in the mid-1960s.
|An audio recording of the University Recognition Day program has been digitized and made available online in the Ball State University Digital Media Repository.|