Thursday, December 18, 2014

Schenley Distillery Architectural Drawings now available in the Ball State Digital Media Repository

A new digital collection in the Ball State University Libraries Digital Media Repository highlights an important era in Indiana’s industrial history by providing online access to architectural drawings of a distillery once owned and operated by one of the largest distillers in the United States.

The Schenley Distillery Architectural Drawings digital collection includes over 200 architectural plans for alcoholic beverage distillation and fermentation facilities operated by Schenley Distillers Corporation and its various subsidiaries in Lawrenceburg and Greendale, Indiana between 1934 and 1951. The plans were drawn by draftsman Frank C. Hall and include both original drawings and printed reproductions.

Industrial Alcohol Plant No. 226, Schenley Distilleries, Inc.
The Schenley Products Company was established in New Jersey in 1920. During the 1920s, the owner of Schenley, Lewis Rosenstiel, acquired approximately thirty distillers of whiskey and other spirits. In 1933, Schenley Distillers Corporation was created in Delaware. Later that same year, the corporation acquired Schenley Products Company and purchased the Squibb Distillery in Lawrenceburg, Indiana, making Schenley the second largest whiskey distiller in the United States. During World War II, the Schenley plant in Lawrenceburg (operating as Schenley Laboratories, Inc.) was converted to a penicillin production facility for the war effort. In 1949, Schenley Industries, Inc. was formed from the old Schenley Distillers Corporation. Schenley Industries was purchased by Guinness P.L.C. (United Distillers) in 1987.

The Schenley Distillery architectural plans were generously donated to Archives and Special Collections in the University Libraries by Milton A. Masing. The digital collection is accessible online in the Ball State University Libraries Digital Media Repository.

For more information about this collection, contact Ball State University Archives and Special Collections at or (765) 285-5078.

No comments: