The Easterner, the predecessor of the modern Ball State Daily News, published its first edition on March 30, 1922, debuting as a 4-page weekly paper which sold for $0.05 per copy. Subscriptions were sold at $0.40 a term and $0.75 for two terms.
|Thomas J. Breitwieser|
|W. C. Harding, first editor|
of The Easterner
|Basil Swinford in 1922|
On February 26, 1937, years after the school became known as Ball State Teachers College, The Easterner changed its name to the Ball State News. On September 12, 1968, as a result of the increase in publication frequency, the paper became known as the Ball State University Daily News. In subsequent years, the paper was known by that name, the Daily News, and The Ball State Daily News, and eventually chose The Ball State Daily News as its permanent name.
|The staff of The Easterner, 1922|