Thursday, December 14, 2006

NOVEMBER PROCESSED COLLECTIONS

November Processed Collections

MSS 254/ R 254/ EF 254 - Other Side of Middletown/Virginia Ball Project, 2003-2004, 2 boxes; 0.1 cu. ft.

Prompted by the omission of Muncie, Indiana’s black community from the famous study by Robert S. Lynd and Helen Merrell Lynd, Luke Eric Lassiter, an associate professor of anthropology at Ball State University, Hurley Gooodall, a former Indiana state legislator and life-long Muncie resident, Elizabeth Campbell, an independent folklorist and Michelle Johnson, a graduate student in the anthropology department at Ball State University, came together to reveal for the first time the unrecorded history and contemporary life of African American “Middletown.” This collection consists of the original taped interviews, notes and tape logs that Ball State University students conducted, researched and wrote from countless interviews with Muncie community residents. These interviews would eventually become the book “The Other Side of Middletown.” The collection consists of field notes, tape logs, drafts and assorted notes taken by Other Side of Middletown interviewees.


P 66 / POVC 66, Roger Pelham Collection, 1939-1971, 2 boxes; 2 cu. ft

The collection includes photographs, most taken by Pelham, related to aviation and automobiles. Approximately 130 photographs were taken at the Indianapolis 500 between 1950 and 1971 when Pelham photographed the race for the Indianapolis Star. In 1950, Pelham convinced the Star that he could take pictures with his Leica camera better than anyone else at the race. He would position himself at one of the turns in order to take action sequence shots of the cars, especially during turns and wrecks. He always used a Leica camera, the type he sold in his Muncie camera shop. Other photos in the collection record the 1939 Endurance Flight during which two local pilots set a flight record of 22 days, Eleanor Roosevelt’s meeting with the Endurance Flight pilots, and the dedication of Muncie’s Johnson Field Airport.

MSS 255 / PSC 293 - Philomathean Club Records, 1911–2006, 2 boxes; 1.3 cu. ft.

The Philomathean Club was organized on February 5, 1906, at the home of Mrs. Sarah Hufford on West Adams Street in Muncie. The Philomatheans (“seekers after knowledge”) grew from the original 5 charter members to 12 and then to 20. Club members chose as their motto “No excellence without great labor.” According to an early constitution, the club’s object is “the promotion of higher mental and social culture of its members, and to encourage a liberal interchange of thought by means of paper and discussions.” The Philomathean Club celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2006. The collection includes the Philomathean Club’s yearbooks from 1911 through 2004, each one of which lists club members, planned programs, and other club information for the year; meeting minute books from 1935 through 2005; the club’s constitution and by-laws; tributes to deceased members; news clippings, and correspondence. Also included are a sample of the cloth yearbook cover sewn by each member and the pattern and instructions for making the cover. Artifacts include a banner presented to 1974–75 club president, Betty Freeman.

OVA 50 - Heal Family Papers, 1 box; 0.5 cu. ft.

The Heal family arrived in Delaware County in 1829 when William and Olive (Carter) Heal settled on 200 acres of forest land. David Heal was one of seven surviving children when William died in 1847, and he inherited 21 acres of the Heal estate. He married Anna Ridgon of Wheeling, Indiana, in 1848, and they had 2 children, George E. and Anna Lacy. David Heal served as Justice of the Peace in Delaware County for 16 years after the Civil War and as a notary public. The collection contains primarily correspondence and legal documents related to David Heal, his roles as Justice of the Peace and notary public, and his family. Among the most important legal documents is the 1837 Land Certificate issued to Joseph Wilson, Jr., for land in Delaware County. The letter from Roy to Cousin Eugene (3/2/1924) includes information in Heal family history.

S 186 1-93 - Masonic Teaching Slides Collection, 4 boxes; 0.5 cu. ft.

The illustrations on the glass slides in the Masonic Teaching Slides Collection are based upon various stories throughout the Bible. They were used for the purpose of educating members of the Masonic Temple. The contents of the Masonic Temple Slides collection include 93 glass slides that illustrate events based upon stories in the Bible. The number following the title of the slide is the original numbering system for the slides.

MSS 246 / P 246 / OVA 246 / D 246 / S 246 / R 246 / PN 246 / EF 246 - Meridian Services, Inc., 1969–,9 boxes; 3.7 cu. ft.

Meridian Services, originally named Comprehensive Mental Health Services (CMHS), was incorporated in 1971 and designated a community mental health center serving Delaware, Henry, and Jay counties in 1976. Over the years it expanded its services throughout East Central Indiana and became a regional, private, nonprofit behavioral healthcare system offering inpatient and outpatient services. Residents of the served communities make up a volunteer Board of Directors that governs Meridian Services.

In 2005, CMHS changed its name to Meridian Services. It is accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) and certified by the Indiana Division of Mental Health and Addictions. This collection contains annual reports dating from 1978-79 through 2005-06. It also includes news clippings covering events and staff, CMHS newsletters, correspondence, and grant proposals and projects, including the Hurley Goodall Apartments. P 249 contains photographs of CMHS staff, participation in Corporate Challenges, events and facilities, and Dr. Gresham’s retirement reception. OVA 246 contains original scrapbooks (fragile) and certificates. D 246 is the DVD presentation given at the Friends of Bracken Library program on Nov. 5, 2006, in conjunction with the Meridian Services exhibit in the Archives and Special Collection Research Center.


R 76 / PSC 285 - Muncie Labor Oral History Project, 2 boxes; 0.4 cu. ft.

The Muncie Labor Oral History Project was initiated as part of the Center for Middletown Studies’ effort to document recent economic changes in Muncie, Indiana. In order to record the history of labor unions in Muncie, Ball State University professor C. Warren Vander Hill conducted 15 interviews between December 2005 and February 2006 with former labor union members in Muncie. This collection contains 15 audio cassette tapes of interviews conducted by Vander Hill between December 2005 and February 2006. Also included are typed transcripts for each interview, as well as photographs of each interviewee taken at the time of the interview. This collection also contains 1 article taken from the Muncie Star-Press relating to Charles McKeighen, one of the interviewees.

NOVEMBER DONATIONS

RECENT DONATIONS

November 2006

Stoeckel Archives of Local History

Goldsmith Gilbert Family Tree, (0.01 cu. ft.)

Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies additions, (0.1 cu. ft)

Beech Grove Warranty Deed & Abstract, (0.01 cu. ft.)

Steinbeck collection additions, including two Japanese books, six Steinbeck literary magazines. Also Senryu poems and oral history project interviews, (0.2 cu. ft.)


Physical Culture magazine collection, 1914-1940, (1.0 cu. ft.)






University Archives

College of Applied Sciences and Technology, Accreditation and Assessment Reports, 1983-1999, (0.2 cu. ft)

AACMU Quarterly Report, Richard Burkhardt collection, addition, (0.1 cu. ft)

Muncie Normal Institute, Certificate for graduation of Everett William Hutson, 1914, (0.1 cu. ft)

Book Donations






Indianapolis: An Illustrated History, by Bill Harris